Sunday, January 23, 2022

Who are George's Parents? Part 1 (James and Rachel Marriage)

It's been a while since I have written any posts about my genealogy journey; however, I have been doing some research on the Dailey family, and I think it's time to document some findings. I decided in October of 2021 that I wanted to focus on proving that James and Rachel Dailey are the parents of George W. Daily. As mentioned in a previous blog post, Let's Get Started with the Dailey Family, there was a small booklet given to me from my grandma that lists the genealogy and it lists this marriage as a fact, but I was skeptical. All I had to go on was these two sentences in the booklet.


I started by trying to verify the marriage first. I did find a marriage bond for James Dailey and Rachel Dailey in Frederick County, Virginia dated 19 December 1825.  The bondsman listed on the document is a John Parlett.



Let’s digress a moment on Marriage Bonds. A marriage bond was basically an intention to marry filed by the groom-to-be and confirming there was no legal reason why the two couldn’t be married (either already married, too close of relation, or too young). The groom and the bondsman, typically the father or brother of the bride, were pledging that they would pay the indicated amount only if there was a reason they could not marry.

OK, back to James and Rachel...a few things stand out to me after examining the marriage bond: 
  • Who the heck is John Parlett?  Realizing the bondman does not HAVE to be a father or brother, I am not sure how he might be related (if at all) to Rachel, but definitely not the same last name as Rachel. John gets filed under the FAN (friends/family, associates, and neighbors) Club for future research.
  • The marriage date does not match from bond to the booklet, but I would trust the actual document over the typed history.
  • Maybe Rachel was married before and her maiden name is actually Parlett. If her birth date was 5 Feb 1805, and she was 20 when she married James, that is possible. Need to check that later. The booklet says that her last name was Dailey and no relation, but I trust nothing unless proven. 
I also found the marriage listed in Frederick County Marriages, 1738-1850 book while I was at Allen County Public Library. Nothing new to add to the details. This listing is by Groom and you will notice a few more James Daileys. But we are focusing on the James and Rachel. 


While we have a few things to research from our findings, this proves nothing as far as being the parents of George W. Dailey. In the next blog post, I will dig into Rachel's death and information surrounding her death. 


FAN Club Listing (I will continue to add to this)
John Parlett (bondsman listed on James and Rachel marriage) 


Sources
Marriage Bonds and Licenses, 1773-1904. Marriage bonds, v. 10-14 1811-1828; Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1952. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9XF-2YGR?i=900&cat=363549

Vogt, John, and T W. Kethley. Frederick County Marriages, 1738-1850. Athens, Ga. (548 Cedar Creek Dr., Athens 30605: Iberian Press, 1987. Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment